A Non-WoW post. Feel free to mark as read.
As pretty much all of you are no doubt aware, I am embarking on my first big trip at the end of the year, off to Japan, then Canada and the US. In some ways, I am really looking forward to this holiday, but in other ways I am dreading it.
Well… I can say with 99.9% certainty that I will not have as much money as I would like. That’s just a given.
I’m also a bit nervous about travelling on my own through the US and Canada. Now, I know that it’s perfectly safe… I’m just more worried about the fact it’s all so unfamiliar to me. I don’t have the first clue where I am going, what there is to do, or anything like that. I think I’ll just be winging it. Hell, I don’t even know where I’ll be staying yet… or how I’ll get from the airport to anywhere else. I’ll probably just go with backpacker’s hostels, and if I can manage to scab free accommodation anywhere along the way, that’s a bonus.
I’m kinda hoping I can meet people along the way as well. Of course, this all depends where I end up going. And, for that, I am really looking for input from you guys. After all, more of you would be familiar with places to go and what not than I would!
So, here’s the VERY vague itinerary I have planned.
28th December: Fly out to Tokyo and meet my sister. Crash at her place for free – huzzah!
30th December – 4th Jan: Ski trip in Japan with my sister, her boyfriend, and one of his mates. I have a horrible feeling this will involve me rolling down hills, possibly breaking bones.
6th January: Fly from Tokyo to Vancouver. Only a 9 hour flight I think, which is fairly tolerable all in all – that’s about how long it takes me to drive from my place to my parents’ anyway
… Not sure what the hell I am doing from this point on, until
26th January: Fly out of LA back to Sydney. Means I am spending Australia Day on a stinking plane. What a rort.
Things I –think- I want to do:
- Is ice hockey even played at that time of year?… I would imagine it would be, being winter and all. I figure, you should really see a game of ice hockey if you are going to Canada.
- I’d say skiing, but I am doing that in Japan. And I probably couldn’t afford another ski trip. And I think a ski trip would suck on your own.
- Go to Washington along the way, since, hell, I’ll probably have to go through there anyway!
- I’d consider a trip to Vegas, but again, Vegas sounds kinda lame on your own. And I am really not sure how far away it is.
- Hit San Francisco… not sure why, but it sounds good.
So, I was wondering – what sort of things should most definitely be on my to-do list? While I prefer cheap, since I am kinda broke, I am willing to spend a bit of cash where necessary. If people also know some good, inexpensive places to stay along the way, well… that would rock as well.
And I have already vetoed hiring a car. The weird backwards roads over there scare me too much!Tags: flying, holiday, LA., Tokyo, Vancouver