I had a blast at BlizzCon, don’t get me wrong.  However, I think that Blizzard need to work on a couple of things for next time.  Always room for improvement and all that.

1.  Community chat

I can’t remember the exact name for this part of the weekend, but there were various times scheduled where people could come together and talk about various aspects of WoW, all moderated by a Blizzard employee.  Kinda like RL forums.  Actually, exactly like RL forums, but probably without all the swearing and the trolling and the carry on.

I thought that this was a great idea from Blizzard, but I really would have liked to see them take it a step further and invite some MVP’s (you know, the guys and girls with green text on the forums) to participate.  After all, these guys are a huge part of the face of the community – they aren’t employed by Blizzard, and all the hard work they do on the forums is solely because of their love of the game, or their class, or whatever else it is they like to talk about.

I mean, really, how hard could it be to get into contact with these guys and offer them a BlizzCon ticket if they are able to give up a little bit of their time to participate in the chat?  I know that I’d love to see some of the MVP’s from the forums I occasionally use, and talk to them about my ideas, thoughts, and concerns.  It would also be another fantastic way to recognise all the work those people do.

2.  Being prepared

We all know that someone at Blizzard has the responsibility of reading blogs and media to find out what the public are saying about WoW.  It just makes sense.  So how were they not prepared when someone asked about the clothing women wear in the game?  Concerns around this very area were the topic of conversation on blogs for a couple of months.

Having a flippant answer (which to me demonstrated a total lack of understanding of what so many people are concerned about) showed that Blizzard either a) had been slacking on their research, or b) just really didn’t give a stuff.

Guys, you need to recognise that promoting one very specific type of body image (for both men and women) in the game just isn’t good enough anymore.  And if you can’t understand that, then you need to at least recognise that it is a valid concern that many people have, instead of just dismissing it with a poor attempt at humour (really, did you have to try and belittle the woman who was asking the question?)

Whoever is reading blogs for you guys… perhaps you need to read a wider variety.  Or pay more attention.  Or something.  Blogs, like the forums, are a great part of the community (and one which I feel gets very little recognition from Blizzard) and reflect the diverse player base and their opinions.  Take notice of what we are saying, because we love the game probably almost as much as you do, as do each and every one of our readers.

What about you guys?  What did you think they could have worked on at BlizzCon?

Signature of SaresaTags: , ,
6 Responses to “BlizzCon: Integrating the community better.”
  1. I did not go, nor get the live feed package, but from what was said on Twitter, and my own thoughts, I think you are spot on here.

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Saresa, Robert Knight. Robert Knight said: RT @Saresa: New blog post: BlizzCon: Integrating the community be… http://www.destructivereach.com/2010/10/blizzcon-integrating-the-co … [...]

3. Because the male models represent the average male geek?

;)

Perception is reality- Blizz caters to 99% of people and I dont want my male toons to look anaemic the same way I dont want my female toons to not be hot :D The clothing represents those ideals.

Overly masculine men with machismo clothing and overly (unrealistically) hot females with clothing to accentuate that ideal.

I agree it would be nice to have some variation but until the majority of people want females clad in chainmail and over-engineered plate or men in leather shorts its not gonna happen. ;)

I think Blizz knows that and thats why they dont take the concerns of prolific bloggers that seriously when it concerns a social/superficial aspect fo the game UNLESS the majority of the community gets behind them.

Just sayin’
    Oombulance´s last blog post ..Resto PvP changes in 401 Final thoughts

4. Well, I didn’t want to go into a whole rant about the issue, because I have been there and done that. The fact is, they addressed the issue incredibly poorly. I was incredibly disappointed in their response. I was even more disappointed with the fact that someone thought that response was so ‘hilarious’ that it made it to the highlights reel at the end of the weekend. Poor form, Blizz.

By the by, I think the way most characters look actually does bother a considerable part of the player base. Its just that it’s not game breaking, so no, we probably won’t complain while we have a whole heap of bugs that we can whine about.

5. Saresa, Unfortunately Blizz has never been that big into their blogger community. If you need proof, just check out their “Community” section on the WoW website (i.e. Curse, Wowhead and WowWiki). All really useful sites, but is that anywhere near a small aspect of the WoW related “community”?? If they really cared about us bloggers, they’d at least include Blog Azeroth or Azeroth United. Nope. To show support of this community, would is some form, say that may actually contribute to us?
    Elkagorasa´s last blog post ..Its a Dead Mans- Doomsday Party- Who Could Ask For More

6. I think, important or not, blogs will always be the less important source for community feedback for Blizzard. The official forums often have a much huger feedback from the community itself for community internal ideas then blogs do. They also offer a large bandwidth of independent users and their opinions. Follower of blogs follow blogs, because they often match with same thoughts and opinions, which causes less critiques. Blogs will never strip their old image of personal diaries and home of daily story’s.

These guys, which are reading community sites will probably hang around sites like mmo-champion and their forums. I think it would be not manageable to observe more or less popular bloggers without loosing all spare time.

I’m on your side, but I think that blogger will sadly stay in their own community.

Gamemaster should be forced to lead an own blog!
    Vasburg´s last blog post ..It is Here