Like Sar, I have spent exactly zero seconds on the PTR so my Affliction spec comes with the same caveat.

Affliction Talent Tree

Doom and Gloom (2/2): Increases crit chance for one of our DoTs? Sure I’ll take it

Improved Life Tap (2/2): In a world where mana is not to be taken for granted, what’s not to like about getting more mana back from Life Tap?

Improved Corruption (3/3): Increased damage for our bread and butter DoT is very much a no brainer

Jinx (2/2): With Curse of Agony becoming Bane of Agony, it allows us to work a nice utility curse into our rotation. This talent allows us to cast to only once and affect all nearby mobs. Situational? Yes. Useful? I would say so.

Soul Siphon (2/2): More damage from our execute spell for each Affliction effect on the target makes me all warm and fuzzy

Siphon Life (2/2): Allows me to passively heal myself while I Life Tap my mana back. Pure win.

Cure of Exhaustion (0/1): Doubt this has any real use outside of PvP

Improved Fear (0/2): Once again, pretty much PvP only

Eradication (3/3): Anything to help reduce the cast times of Unstable Affliction and Shadow Bolt is ok by me

Improved Howl of Terror (0/2): More of a PvP talent in my opinion with little to offer in PvE

Soul Swap (1/1): I love the potential of this talent in PvP and the best thing about it is that it could be very useful in PvE as well. With more of a focus being put on CC, it’s possible we could be dpsing trash down one at a time and having the ability to instantly apply all our DoTs will be a huge DPS boost.

Shadow Embrace (3/3): Straight up damage increase to all of our DoT’s. Nothing fancy here just a nice meat and potatoes type talent.

Death’s Embrace (3/3): Does this mean we now channel Drain Life until 25% and spam Shadow Blots after wards? Way to turn my world upside down Blizz.

Nightfall (2/2): Instant cast Shadow Bolts are yummy.

Soulburn: Seed of Corruption (1/1): Seems like a pretty fun talent. Usefulness may be a bit limited but could be pretty strong in BG’s or while AoEing

Everlasting Affliction (3/3): Increased crit chance for 3 of our top abilities and free refreshes of Corruption.

Pandemic (2/2): Nothing wrong with lowering the Global Cooldown of our instant cast abilities and the refresh to Unstable Affliction is nice

Haunt (1/1): Always been a big fan of Haunt and don’t see anything to change my mind about it in Cataclysm.

A hint of Destruction

The thought of dipping into demonology never once crossed my mind.

Bane (3/3): Faster Shadow Bolt casts are lovely

Shadow and Flame (1/3): Nice little bump to the damage of Shadow Bolt and a chance for a debuff to be applied to the target.

Looking over the talent tree for the first time raised a few questions for me. Is Drain Life now the filler spell for Affliction? Should I now only use Shadow Bolt when the mob is below 25%? How difficult will it be to adjust to this?

Signature of GingerleiTags: , ,
11 Responses to “All About Affliction”
  1. I had the same question about DL vs SB. I’m not sure the decision will change any more at 25%, but I would think either way you’ll want to keep the ISB debuff up if you’re group is using it.

Which brings me to point two: the only difference I came up with was filling out S&F before Bane. My group would benefit from the ISB debuff, and I would think if you’re using the debuff, it would be a much larger group DPS gain than what you get personally out of Bane. Fill ‘em both by the time you get to 85 though! :-).

2. [...] Destructive Reach: Warlock 4.0 – We’re a Talented Bunch [Guide to Speccing] | 4.0 – Destruction Derby | All About Affliction [...]

3. exact same spec i have planned for my aff build.

4. locklicious says:

So whats your rotation gonna look like “o)

I like this build kinda like what I planned.
    Alot are doing destruction but I am a Affl Girl

5. I’ve been using SB -> Haunt -> Corruption -> UA -> CoA and then refreshing Haunt and other DoTs as needed while keeping up ISB. Been working out nicely so far but I get the feeling I should be using Drain Life more.

6. Awesome work! I think it’s a pretty solid build as well, and I think that the choice between Shadow and Flame and Bane is a damned difficult one. Of course, if you have someone else providing a similar buff, that makes your decision easy! One thing people don’t take into account often enough is that ALL specs (and rotations, for that matter) should take your raid and your circumstances into consideration. For instance, I use a rotation that many would say is somewhat flawed, but the ‘recommended rotation’ does not quite work for me because of my high latency. It’s also a matter of what suits you and your group :-)

7. [...] All About Affliction: Guide to speccing for Affliction ‘Locks Tags: Cataclysm, Guide, Specs, Talents, Warlock [...]

8. [...] has only ever been Demonology.  Here are some resources for Affliction and Affliction and [...]

9. Goldylockzx says:

Oh so i am duel spec lock! and How should both my rotations go. for Destro and Affliction”?!?!?

10. @Sar: Thanks! Your build for Destro looks solid as well.

@Goldylockzx: Having had a chance to play around a little bit since the patch, I found I needed to change up my rotation again. Remember, Affliction doesn’t have a rotation but more of a priority system. That being said, this is what my opening sequence looks like:

Corruption -> UA -> BoA -> Haunt -> SB then refresh DoTs as necessary. I’ll be doing a larger post next week about Affliction’s “rotation” but this should hold you over in the meantime. As for Destruction, I’ll let Sar help you out there since I know next to nothing about that spec.

11. I’ve been using SB -> Haunt -> Corruption -> UA -> CoA and then refreshing Haunt and other DoTs as needed while keeping up ISB. Been working out nicely so far but I get the feeling I should be using Drain Life more.