The most notable thing that I got out of Blizzards little Press Conference thing (that I have been slow in posting about, because my Mum was here and I was tied up with the following:

– Of course I didn’t go out and buy fruit in an attempt to make you think I eat it

– The house is ALWAYS this clean!

– Yes, I have been saving, I swear!)

Anyway, apart from the ‘lookie, we have canned most everything that we said was cool and awesome about Cataclysm!’ announcement, there was something big snuck in there.  Something scary.

“Look, you’ll be able to LEARN your glyphs”.

Yay, no more carting around glyphs.  Because so many of us do that, right?

… but wait, what about us Scribes?

I’m not sure how Inscription is going to be a profitable profession anymore.  Unless glyphs become MUCH more expensive to make, so we can charge out the wazoo for them, Scribes are going to be low on cash all the time.  For me, that’s not a huge deal.  I’m too lazy to exploit the glyph market anyway.  But for others, I can see this being a pain in the butt.

The other thing is this whole ‘Major, Medium, and Minor Glyph’ thing.

WHAT THE HELL?

What is the difference between a Medium Glyph and a Minor Glyph?

• Major glyphs (much like they are now)
  • Medium glyphs (NEW “fun factor” and cosmetic glyphs)
  • Minor glyphs (much like they are now)

Am I just slow?  Am I missing something?  Minor glyphs are supposed to be the ‘fun’ ones, right?  They generally suck enough that they could only be considered as fun.  Unless, of course, all the minor glyphs that lack utility will shift to Medium Glyphs, and all the ones with sucky-ass utility will stay as Minors.  And really, shouldn’t those names be the other way around?

I am so confused!  I just want to scream… just like my cat does when I take her picture.

Suki Cat rawring.

Tags: , ,
8 Responses to “Glyphs: The New Confusion”
  1. I was wondering about that too!

I love the cat by the way… Hipstamatic print there me thinks? ;)

2. Actually some high end prot warriors carry around stacks of glyphs and swap them out based on the mechanics of the boss fight. But yeah I doubt any other class uses them as a consumable.

3. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Saresa, Arcania and Eligio Garza IV, Porter Williams. Porter Williams said: RT @Saresa: New blog post: Glyphs: The New Confusion http://www.destructivereach.com/2010/06/glyphs-the-new-confusion/ [...]

4. Just as a note, I don’t buy fruit when my mom comes for a visit either. :) She’s too keen to figure out that it’s one of those “F” words that I don’t care to eat.

They’ll have to be fairly expensive to help maintain some level of marketability, otherwise no one who’s looking to make any in-game gold will continue to do it. You’d eventually turn into the maytag man and die off from lack of work to do. Sure there will always be alts leveling up, but how many inscriptionists does it take to supply a single glyph.
    .-= Elkagorasa´s last blog ..Cataclysm New Glyphs, Goodbye Path of Titans =-.

5. I’m moderately active in the glyph market on my scribe alt (4-500g per day) and don’t mind this at all.

At the moment most people don’t change glyphs often, and a lot of characters just buy their 12 (assuming dual spec) glyphs and leave it at that. The market only exists because of respecs, alts and new players. Many glyphs have zero demand and don’t sell at all, others are the most popular and margins on these tend to narrow.

With the change I expect to see a lot of completists. Folks like me (Warlock tailor with Swordguard embroidery… why the hell did I pay gold for that?) who will just need to “learn” even the glyphs they know they’ll never use. That’s a lot of sales. Then there are the alts of those guys. I’m expecting a pretty steady flow of Goblins/Worgen. And it won’t just be the popular glyphs that sell, it will be all the glyphs.

If anything I think my sales will increase.

6. Yeah as a scribe I too can say while the Glyph market is decent enough to take advantage of due to the extremely low cost to make them, honestly all of the people I know that switch glyphs often have a friend make them a bunch at a time, usually like I do with my guildies. Learned glyphs would make the herb market drop a little bit, but not much considering there’s still the healthy alchemy profession to keep that one thriving.
    .-= Poptart´s last blog ..Deathbringer Saurfang ICC 25 Man Heroic Strategy =-.

7. I think the main issue is:

– At the moment, even with dual spec, people generally respec a surprising amount. I change my second spec somewhat frequently, and reglyph it each time. If I don’t have to buy glyphs every time, that’s going to save me some money.
    – While there ARE completionists in the game, I don’t think that will be enough to compensate.

I think there will be a sharp rise in glyph profits at the beginning. Everyone will be grabbing them to learn them as soon as possible. Then I think (to put it crudely) the arse is going to fall out of the market. You might see a spike occasionally if a glyph that used to suck becomes good for someone, but even then I think there will be lots of market flooding. It’ll be a case of make money while you can, and then just wait for something to happen.

The conspiracy theorist in me likes to think that Blizzard just decided Inscription was far too profitable. But that’s just because I like thinking like that ;-)

8. Resto Druids. My Tree carries stacks of the following glyphs to customize per fight: Swiftmend, Nourish, Rapid Rejuventaion, Wild Growth. Although I must be honest and admit that the two being switched are generally WG and Rejuv. But yes, some of us do use glyphs as a consumable currently. I don’t buy ‘em though. I pick the herbs and pay/tip a guildie to keep ‘em made for me at his convience.