At the risk of sounding like John Farnham*…

The time has come for me to hang up my writing pen (at least, my WoW writing pen), and take a step back from the community.  After a lot of soul searching, I have realised that I simply spend far too much of my time focused on the game and immersed in this online community.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but I have stopped thinking so much about the ‘Real World’, and it has begun to affect things it quite frankly shouldn’t be affecting.

I guess people might have a few questions….

1.  Why you quitting?  That above answer seems kinda vague.

Well, it is.  I don’t really want to go into all the nitty gritty of the things blogging has changed in my life (some for the better, some for the worse).  Essentially, I’ve just decided that it isn’t healthy for me to have my focus lie here, so I am going to drop WoW blogging and spend the (great deal of) time I worked here and in other places focusing on my job and saving some money.

2.  Does this mean you are quitting WoW?

At this point, no, I’ll continue to play the game, hopefully at least until Cataclysm.  I’ll also hopefully feel less obligated to be all serious and mathy about it… hell, I might even spend time on alts rather than my main.

3.  Will the website be staying up?

I am 99.9% sure my hosting dies in March.  At this point, I’ll either pay to keep this page here (probably useless, as there is no relevant info to be found here), or I’ll transfer all the content over to my old free WordPress site and let the hosting expire.  I’ll always keep hold of the name, just in case.  We all know I haven’t done well at quitting in the past, but this time I have a much better incentive.

4.  What did you mean, hanging up your WoW writing pen?

I do have a personal blog, and I’ll continue blogging sporadically there.  I’m not going to link it here, as the writing standard is (unbelievably) even lower than here, and most of the posts consist of me emoing out.  However, it’s not hard to find, I am pretty sure I have links to it here and there on the community, so if you are interested enough to track it down, feel free to have a look.

However, I will be ceasing all writing at this point in time on Destructive Reach, and more than likely Tree of Doom as well.  If I do happen to post on Tree of Doom, it will be without fanfare, and I certainly won’t be expecting readers!

5.  What about your involvement with the WoW Community?

Most of my involvement with the community will also be coming to a close.  I am more than happy for anyone to have a chat to me about, well, anything at any time, and if you want to do so, you can look at my Twitter page for my contact details.  I will probably eventually be withdrawing from the WoW twitter community as well.

As for Blog Azeroth, I am also planning on withdrawing from that community as well.  So, I am hoping that a couple of motivated bloggers want to step up to the role of moderating and helping the BA community.  If you are interested, please please PLEASE let me know.  In this regard I am quite disappointed, as there were a couple of things I was hoping to achieve in the community this year.  However, it will be nice to see new people take on the role and achieve something :-)

So, this is the part of the post where I should do thank yous.  However, I am absolutely terrified of leaving someone out, so I would just like to thank those in the WoW and Blog Azeroth communities who have been so kind to me over the past two or so years, and who have helped me through SO many things.  I’d also like to of course thank every person who reads this blog, and those of you who are kind enough to comment, regardless of whether you have agreed or disagreed with me.  You have all been truly amazing, and I consider myself blessed to have such wonderful people actually interested enough to read what I have to say.

Thank you all again.  It has truly been wonderful fun, and I will miss you all immensely.  Best wishes in the World of Warcraft and beyond for you all.

Love, Sar

*Oh… and who is John Farnham, you ask?  Well, he was a singer in the 80’s and 90’s in Australia, who has probably now made a large amount of money of countless ‘One Last Time’ tours.  I think he has been quitting performing since I was about 10… and is still trekking around doing ‘last shows’.  The man just doesn’t know how to quit.

20 Responses to “One Last Time?”
  1. Aww, I’m sad to see you go Sar. You were probably the first warlock blog that I found, and actually helped me quite a bit as I was leveling up.

Good luck in everything you go on to do, I’ll miss seeing you’re posts in my feed reader (and eventually my twitter time line).
    .-= deyndor´s last blog ..Ding! =-.

2. Saresa! ;___;

I’m so sad to see you go! I had the impression your motivation has been wavering for some time and I was really hoping this wouldn’t happen.

I never got the chance to get to know you on a personal level, but your cheerfulness, friendliness and warmth on the Blog Azeroth forums and Twitter were incredibly helpful to me when I first went public with my blog. I’m also positive that I’m far from being the only blogger you’ve inspired! You’ve definitely made a huge mark in the community and things won’t be the same without you.

I hope you stick around on Twitter! I’ll miss you tons if you don’t.

3. Dawwww, you were one of the first wow blogs I found, forget first warlock blog. I enjoyed reading your stuff. :) Though I’ll definitely miss the random & funny tweets, whenever they disappear.

4. [...] also like to add a goodbye to Saresa, we’ll miss you, of course, but hope that stepping away will be a positive step. Good luck [...]

5. We’ll all miss you on the BA forums! I hope the real world treats you so well that you feel you have to tell us about it!
    .-= Shawndra´s last blog ..What I’m Doing and Planning, January Edition =-.

6. I must say I’ll miss you’re sauciness and your support!
    .-= Windsoar´s last blog ..Yay! =-.

7. Even if I can’t spell today :( Your. Seriously.

8. I’m sorry to see Destructive Reach come to an end, and to be without your wonderfully witty writing.

Best of luck in all you pursue!
    .-= pjharvey´s last blog ..Shuttling ships to market =-.

9. I hope it’s just the jet lag talking… but if not, take ‘n good luck – and stay in touch! <3

10. Thank you Saresa for your contribution to the community. It sounds like a wise call and I probably should do the same if I was sane… not quite yet though.

Take care and good luck with your epic adventures in RL!

Cheers
    .-= Larísa´s last blog ..Confessions About My Crap Saronite Slave =-.

11. Aw, will be sad to say goodbye, but good luck in whatever creative thing you do next :) Thanks for inspiring me and making me laugh :)

Btw, I think Whispering Jack was one of the first cds I ever owned – something that my husband takes great pleasure in reminding me at every opportunity :P Hey, the guy was great to sing along to, even if he and Jimmy Barnes never go away.
    .-= Angelya´s last blog ..Into the Frozen North =-.

12. Take good care of yourself.

<3's
    .-= hydra´s last blog ..To Ratter and my Mooj =-.

13. Thankyou all so much for your kind comments and thoughts. <3

14. You’ll be back. You can’t resist the sexiness of the WoW Blogosphere.

Otherwise, take care and enjoy the outside. Level up IRL for all of us cave-stricken hobbits.

Still blog-crushing on you. ;)
    .-= Oath´s last blog ..Dungeon Deserter: I want your justification. No, I demand it. =-.

15. Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Anyway. John Farnham. You’re The Voice. I own the 7″ single. It’s wicked. Ironically enough you, Sar, are The Voice. Sad nooblock waves goodbye to you *waves*
    .-= HolyWarrior´s last blog ..Ensidia Banned For Lich King Kill? =-.

16. It won’t be the same without you, Saresa. Yours is a unique voice.

Good luck and will hopefully see you when you decide to de-quit!
    .-= Wai Wurrie´s last blog ..The post that is apparently on a hiatus =-.

17. But. But.. we had such a great thing going! :(

You can’t go! Who will I pick on!! How will I continue our Hunter vs. Warlock war!! It just won’t be the same. :( /cry

Well that’s the selfish part of me.
    Sar, you’re an awesome person and you truly have my friendship and support on whatever you choose to do.

May you find happiness and joy in the life outside the blogging community! :)
    .-= Brigwyn´s last blog ..Mary Varn is coming to visit The Hunting Lodge Podcast =-.

18. I’m glad that you are choosing to focus on your ‘real life’. Unless it is your job to play WoW, I find that a lot of people (including myself who quit WoW completely 6 or so months ago) find it hard to detach themselves from what seemed to be their whole life. But sometimes you need to take a step back and look at the other possibilities that WoW may have been holding you back from without you really realizing it. Awareness is the key. Be aware of your play time and aware of everything else going on in your life and you will be fine. When you start getting too caught up in everything and lose awareness is when things start going downhill.

I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavours!

19. bye bye Sar….*sniffle,sniffle*

20. Bye Sar! You’ll be missed.
    .-= shopshopshop´s last blog ..Why Pay for News Online =-.