I have a secret I have to spill

It’s really hard to come back to World of Warcraft.

There.  I said it.  Done bun can’t be undone.

I always thought that quitting WoW would be one of the hardest things.  It’s kinda like when I gave up chocolate for a year – I thought it would be near impossible.  People said I wouldn’t last a week.  Sure, I cheated a little… I ate Nutella, I still ate chocolate cake, but I didn’t have any real, honest to God bonafide Chocolate for a whole year.  By the end of that year, I wasn’t really hanging for chocolate anymore.  I had kinda gotten used to it!

Well… I have found myself a Nutella.  I have found myself a chocolate cake.  While I haven’t been able to play WoW, I have played some Warcraft III.  I have re-read all my books.  I have immersed myself in my (frankly demanding) job.  Finding the time to get WoW and blogging back into my already cramped schedule has been difficult.  Almost impossible.  If I didn’t need to sleep, then sure, it would be fine.  But I look around and see that I still have to vacuum the house, I haven’t finished unpacking from when I got in last night, I have a load of washing waiting to be hung out and another to go in the machine, and my car needs washing.  WoW is slipping further and further down the list of priorities.

This doesn’t mean I will be quitting.  No sirree.  It just means that I will be coming back to the game, and to the blog, on my own terms.  I won’t be letting other things slip to make sure that I have an entry up every day.  I won’t be ditching social engagements because I had a raid to go to.  I certainly wont be slacking off on my job to make sure I can keep up here on the blog.

61089116.TheDeepEnd_35169

I tried to play the other day.  I got caught up doing all the things I found exciting when I first played – fishing to see what I would catch, cooking to see what I could make, running around just LOOKING at things.  I tried to raid, and it was like learning how to walk again.  I couldn’t remember my key bindings.  I had trouble working out spell rotations.  I was so busy focusing on where the hell all my buttons were that I couldn’t even watch what I was doing.  My situational awareness was well and truly fubared.  I was so stressed out about what damage I might be doing or not doing that I died continuously.  It’s not fun being thrown back into the deep end.

I figure I will be back to my usual blogging maybe in a month or two.  Hell, I might be able to blog most every day regardless!  I just can’t get WoW back in my life properly.  When I do log in I feel at a loss for something to do, I am out of rhythm and step.  Quitting WoW cold turkey is bloody hard.  Getting back in like nothing ever happened is harder.

… I sound like one of those ‘Quit’ smoking ads.

8 Responses to “Coming back to WoW”
  1. Yeah I quit WoW about 6 months before the expansion come out. Ended up buying the expansion and played it for a couple of weeks. I could just not get back into it.

I have to say it took me a couple of tries to get into it the first place and the main reason I stuck to it for the 1 1/2 years was the social side. Meet some really cool people who know the game well and pretty much logged in to level and have fun with them.

The cool thing is I am still in touch with them and catchup via msn or facebook all the time.

2. I’m finding it difficult to justify spending time on wow these days, one of the reasons I’ve stopped posting on my wow blog.

Wow is a great hobby when you’re stuck for things to do, but it becomes almost more of a chore when life becomes busy again, doesn’t it? Or is that just me? lol

Softis last blog post..Mighty Max!

3. No, Softi, I think you’re spot on. The disadvantage of it being a multi-player game is that there can be a subtle pressure to “keep up” with the people you play with, even if the rest of your life is drawing your attention away from the game.

And that can make it feel like a chore pretty darn quickly.

Leafys last blog post..The Post-80 Doldrums (and Some Rep Advice)

4. Athlantar - Sen'jin says:

I’ve found that hardcore raiding allows me to spend far less time in game than I used to. Years ago I would spend 6-8 hours per day, everyday of the week in my original casual guild. Currently, I’m raiding like 1-2 days a week for no more than 4 hours. Great for getting the WoW fix while retaining almost your entire normal life. Just figured I’d drop my 2 cents in. <3 Sar

-Ath

p.s. “hardcore” is debatable, people tend to assign different meaning to word, where-as in my personal case, it refers to raiding mentality and potential success.

5. Glad to hear you aren’t leaving us all completely! :)

It can be hard to get back into the routine/groove/whathaveyou after you’ve been out of it for awhile.. with WoW.. with blogging.. with anything really. Sorta like, it’s hard to return to work after a nice looong vacation. ;)

Syranas last blog post..Please Hold…

6. Welcome sorta/kinda back Sar.

I’m finding WoW a little jaded at the moment as well. I even levelled fishing from 180 to 250 the other day because I was bored.

I guess you can take more time now to watch the Roosters…..then again that might be worse than fishing. ;-)

Cheers

Kol

7. @ Kolan Haha… at the moment the way they are playing it is worse than fishing! Unfortunately I had to suffer through the game twice last week, since they played it on TV then replayed it immediately after on a different channel, and they played them both at the pub. Cruel and unusual punishment, I say!

Glad to hear that I am not the only one who finds the game a bit difficult to cope with at times. Now I know how people somehow wander away from the game… Hopefully I wont though :-)

8. My friends and I are having a a similar problem. I got bored playing my druid because it was hard to find myself a guild to tank in since I didn’t have a chance to raid BC content and there’s a shortage of tank spots in raiding guilds as well. I started leveling a Priest for healing purposes. I’m level 56 now almost to Outlands, but I can’t seem to get myself to play. It’s caused a chain reaction as I’ve been hanging out with my friends IRL instead of in WoW so we’re all not really playing. I think we’re all kind of waiting for dual-specs in 3.1 and all the big changes.

Kyles last blog post..Sage Francis – Makeshift Patriot