The Back O’ Bourke: Australian slang phrase used to describe something as being very remote, in the middle of nowhere. Originates from Bourke being a ridiculously remote town.
Well, guess where your favourite lock is moving to! I got the call today (well, yesterday now) from the Department of Education, saying that a job had come up there as an English/History teacher, and I was the person lucky enough to be pulled out of the barrel. Essentially, I am now kinda stuck with it for a couple of reasons:
a) I have a contract which says I must go where ever they send me for three years
b) When choosing places on the form for my contract, I was stupid enough to tick the ‘Bourke’ box. Not sure why. Am now slapping myself completely stupid over it.
So, while I am trying to be optimistic about it, my family keep insisting on telling me the following:
1. Snakes! Snakes in the house, snakes everywhere! While I don’t have a huge fear of snakes, I don’t want to come home to them. Especially in my bedroom. *shudders*
2. High crime rate. The shop windows are all barred, there are 40 police officers in a 4000 person town, break ins are a frequent occurrence, and I shouldn’t expect to keep my new car (which I will need – my current one has no air conditioning) for too long. Also strongly advised against going out anywhere alone, and definitely not after dark. Oh goodie.
I also found through my own research:
3. Fricking hot weather. For a girl who prefers the snow, summer temperatures of 45-50 degrees are horrible sounding. On the plus side, I do believe I get paid a little extra for putting up with the heat.
4. No shopping to be had. I can count on paying through the nose for groceries and petrol! Anything decent (like nice clothes) involves a five hour trip. Also get paid a little extra for being nowhere.
5. Internet is also ludicrously expensive, with my current plan costing upwards of $100 a month out there. Jinkies!
On the plus side:
1. Rent is very affordable. Average rental is between $120 – $180 a week. Nothing much that is more expensive than that. Huzzah!
2. Should be an experience
3. Being a shut in means more WoW time?
4. There is a picture of somewhere which doesn’t look all red and dusty! Yay! There’s water, and grass, and green things!
All pictures courtesy of backobourke.com.au . WoW post coming sometime soon. I hope. :-P