The Warlock Forum on the World of Warcraft site is a wonderful place to seek advice, indulge in complaining, and to take some time to feed the trolls. In the interests of promoting this wonderful place, I am going to take a look at some three selected posts, and advise you of how to best respond to these.
1. "Can my Curse of Doom crit?"
– Short Answer: No.
– Long Answer: Curse of Doom is considered a DoT, despite it dealing all its damage in one tick. This means that it currently can not crit. I will be interested to see what happens to this spell when DoTs are able to crit. Will this apply to some DoTs, or all of them? Personally I would hate to see the threat generation of a Curse of Doom crit. My CoDs currently hit for approximately 12k. A crit would be horrific, and I am sure the boss who was hit by it would eat my face, perhaps with a spoon.
Oh, and those on the forums who say their CoD ‘crit’ on Curator? It’s not a crit, buffoons, it’s caused by a mechanic of the fight where Curator is vulnerable to damage during Evocation. Stop selling your silly lies.
These posts are VERY common. Almost always made by a low level alt, or a mage. Their statement is then backed up by irrational arguments, in the case of today’s post by a level 4 Rogue (with an offensive name to boot) ‘I have been feared for 10 minutes!’. There are a couple of ways Warlocks respond to this.
– Smart Answer: To do nothing and hope the troll thread will die. This unfortunately never happens, and troll threads are always longer than any proper discussions.
– Fun Answer: Respond with humour. The first responder to this thread did this well – "I’ve heard rumours of people’s characters being feared for over 2 years" (Neeranu of Dreadmaul). These responses actually make troll threads worth reading! Keep it short, sweet and funny.
– Dumb Answer: Feed the troll with anger, by pointing out the total stupidity of their statements. While I wouldn’t recommend this, it can be difficult to resist. Unfortunately, this merely encourages the trolls.
3. "Do you show your OT naked pictures of your wife?"
This confirms all my previous suspicions about Paladins! Best advice here is to not reply, not click the links, and back far far away.
Other common post themes include complaining about the uselessness of Soul Shards, the Rogue ability Cloak of Shadows annoying Locks everywhere, Epic Rick Rolls, and arguments about which spec is the best spec (Destruction, of course!) In amongst these you will find the occasional gem of sound advice buried amongst a lot of garbage, trolling and epeen stroking. Best of luck with your adventures though the World of Warcraft… Forums.