Well, I know that I have only been blogging now for around a month, which isn’t very long in the overall scheme of things. I was planning on waiting around six months until I considered the self hosting option, but it is looking more and more appealing to me every day. Here are the pros and cons for going self hosted:
- I get more flexibility in the set up of my page. Currently the list of things that I can and cannot do is getting frustrating, and there are some interesting features I have seen that I would really like to include in my blog.
- I also get more flexibility to configure how my page looks. I can have a design that I specifically want, which would be nice. It would also be a lot of work (see cons).
- It sounds silly, but I get more of a sense of ownership – the blog is essentially ‘mine’ in every way.
- I know next to nothing about CSS – there would be a LOT of reading in my future!
- I also have no idea how one even begins to design the appearance of their blog.
- I am about to get into a somewhat busy part of the year, since I am about to begin internship. This means I will not have the time required to really create a good blog design.
- I have no idea how one goes about arranging hosting and all that jazz.
- I’d have to remember to back it up!
So I am still undecided. I would really love to self host. I just don’t know if I have the time or the ability to do so yet!Tags: Blogging